Goals for Girls partnered with Ubuntu Education Fund and Grassroot Soccer in fighting the spread of HIV. Participants explored differences and similarities around HIV and gender norms through life skills and HIV prevention activities during a custom designed life skills camp.
“Using the power of soccer in the fight against HIV/AIDS”
- Select soccer team from Washington, DC
- Olympic Gold Medalist and World Cup winner Tiffany Roberts, U.S. Women’s National Team
- South African girls who participate in Grassroot Soccer, Hope for Richmond, and Ubuntu Education Fund programs
- Grassroot Soccer
- Hope for Richmond
- The Washington Post
- Ubuntu Education Fund
- U.S. Consulate, Cape Town
- U.S. Soccer Foundation
Goals for Girls Leave-Behind Grants were awarded to:
- Grassroot Soccer to carry on girls street soccer league.
- Ubuntu Education Fund to carry on its work supporting girls with HIV prevention and care activities.
The Washington Post covered this program in a daily feature online, in print, and through audio and video coverage. This included two major pieces on the program in its “Health” section and daily reports and analysis of impact from the field.